PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2008, 21:14
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Hawk Down

Artyhug,

well I can't stand it anymore either; exactly how many miles were you away while this was hapenning ?

I'm not a soldier, in fact I'm a UK civilian who has worked alongside the military. but if I was 'in the field' would have hoped for backup - do you know what it is to deny support for people dying in front of you ?

I do, and am not even military.

As I said at the beginning of my last post, - I was NOT involved n the incidident - what became the unthinkable became the only way to survive - there comes a certain point where one says " sod the ROE, the opposition have, we need to survive ! "

Harrier strikes - being a lot less likely to take RPG's - would have fairly certainly 'discouraged' the mobs.

This might sound uncivilised and using superior weaponry on 'poor folk' - but remember the U.S. went in with 'aid' in mind, and were met by drug-high mobs including women with a baby under one arm, AK-47 or M-16 under the other.

As to evidence aftrerwards to justify it, well the Harrier has a small, pretty useless for these purposes video pilot display recorder, but that combined with the overhead a/c performing supposed C&C & radio chat between aircraft & ground vehicles would be pretty convincing...

Those guys took enough pounding, which I don't know if I could endure - hope so, who knows ?

Without 20/20 hindsighters saying they couldn't have done with more backup !

Last edited by Double Zero; 30th Jul 2008 at 21:43.