PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Training: 1st bit in UK then the rest in the US?
Old 30th Jul 2008, 20:25
nickyjsmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me, it would be a few hrs uk to make sure i'm happy, finish ppl in better weather ( flying skills are the same all over) and then back for upto 10 hrs with an instructor to get safe in uk airspace.
In the last 2 years, i have had loads of time off but no luck with the weather. Was ready for my qxc in march 07, got it done in sept 07 having already done ir and lowlevel. Then couldn'tget a mock test in untill dec 07, weather was u/s after that. Have had 3 or 4 tests cancelled due to weather. To keep my hand in i have used about 20-25 hrs, done 3 mock tests now and again have not been able to fly due to weather or no lessons available when i have been. Test this week if i'm lucky after 1 lesson.
If you can take a few weeks off, go get it done and come back and get some P1 hrs in post some instructor time for uk familiarisation.
The early part of ppl training is less of a problem in the uk, its the latter part where you need good viz and cloudbase.
I have spent £11k, nearly half of that has been currency when the weather was to bad to do the syllabus. It would have been cheaper to take a months unpaid leave.
All the best,

Nick.