PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Depression/Stress -- Don't talk about it to your doctor or a psychiatrist.
Old 30th Jul 2008, 19:12
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
I firmly agree that if you have decided that you have a condition which requires medical attention or assistance, and that condition is within the scope of those which require you to not act as a pilot, you should not even consider acting as a pilot! You decided right?

Anyone who would fly during such treatment must be the kind of person who say to the mechanic: "I think this aircraft has a defect, and needs maintenance before it flies again - but I think that I'll take these people for a ride in it first...I'll bring it to you later..."

I have personally assisted carrying the broken body of a good friend of mine, out of the aircraft he had just crashed, while out "workin out his frustrations" in his company plane. It was not his first time flying irresponsibly. We did not know he was being treated for depression with medication, but once told in the accident report, it did not surprise any of us. We should have been better friends to him while we could, instead I was a friend to him only one last time. Dozens of people were profoundly affected by his careless behaviour.

So now I'll be a friend to those who read here, If the standards say don't fly if.... Don't fly, okay? Medical, maintenance, weather, weight & balance, and all of the other words to the wise....

This is the "Professional" Pilots Rumour Network right? Let's act like it!

Pilot DAR