PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Epilepsy
Thread: Epilepsy
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2008, 18:14
AMEandPPL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face where are the lines to be drawn . . . . . . . . . ?

This is likely to be a very interesting debate ! Yes, of course I can see all that. The division between high and low risks, the concept of the epileptic PPL pleasure flier, the hope that control remains good for ever, etc etc. If the DVLC can allow epileptics to drive, then why can the JAA not allow them to fly ? I suggested two reasons in my earlier post.

Let me just make it clear that right now all I am doing is upholding, and explaining some of the thinking behind, the rules as they presently are.
JAR medical regulations are enshrined in the Air Navigation Order, which in turn is part of the law of the land. Just as clear as the laws against murder, or speeding ! I am in favour of the rules which are in place being adhered to, until they are changed. There could, of course, be a debate about whether a better, fairer, set of rules could be drawn up.
But, as always, the line needs to be drawn somewhere !

Rules do vary in different areas (ie countries). Some countries now allow insulin-dependent diabetics to be pilots, though it is still 100% forbidden here in UK, and in my younger career I was taught that this was heresy !
Similarly, as has been mentioned on this forum before, some countries now allow commercial pilots (yes, class 1's ! ) to take mind-altering drugs such as anti-depressants. That is also out of the question in the UK and Europe at the present time.

I personally believe that the introduction of the NPPL allowed quite outrageous double standards to exist. Same aeroplane, same airspace, same pilot, maybe even same passengers ! x = fit , y = unfit. How can this exist in one country ?

Enough of a rant from me . . . . . . any more from others ?