PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2008, 17:45
tiarna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cazatou

I did not realise you meant such an extensive study of the BOI, annexes and cross-references. If you have read all that then my hat is off to you. My interest is not to nitpick at other contributors as you --like little typos in spelling and things. My focus is an attempt to understand the tragedy and it cause as best we can. Fact is we will only ever arrive at a best fit answer and even in that there will be differences of opinion. Unfortunate I know....

I have no clue as to the consequences, if any, regarding any STF equipment being fitted. There is a possibilty that it was installed, regardless of its status, it may still have represented a threat. Nigegilb made a very valuable post at #3543. It seems one neutralising procedure carried out to disable any STF is to rip out the cabling. The idea being that it returns the craft to it original state. Wrong!! As it is equipment still in it beta stage --its support software is still beta, which can be very unstable. This software is installed in the Chinooks AFCS Computers (which also controls the Baro and rad alts) and presumably left running at start up. On a home PC have you ever uninstalled something and then run a common application like Acrobat or MS Word to find that as soon as you activate it something strange happens or the system tries to connect to a network. My point is that millions of users are using these applications every day and report bugs consistantly --and they are still not bug free. Whereas, military/aviation software is more exclusive and with less frequent bug fixes because they are often only discovered in the field. If STF is involved and even removed --would we really know for sure if the software was left running and may have re-configured something in its attempts to communicate with the mysterious STF? The STF software and Alt meter software are all using the same resources. This may not answer your question regarding the sub scale settings but it may have contributed to the problem.

T.

Ps. One must also keep in mind that there was a high demand on all these resources simulteanously because the SuperTANS was calculating the location at WP change.

Last edited by tiarna; 30th Jul 2008 at 18:05.