PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guide to obtaining a JAA PPL in the US (part 1)
Old 30th Jul 2008, 17:30
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, nobody here has been to all of them so I don't think you'd be able to find anybody here that can compare one to another. And it's also next to impossible to get your hands on statistics like hours to the skill test, pass rates and such. So you just have to pick one and hope for the best, really.

As for the IR, I don't think you can do a JAA IR outside the JAA member states (ie. Florida). I don't know why exactly, but my guess is that it has to do with weather being wildly different.

In any case, I don't think it would be a good idea to do the IR straight after your PPL skills test. Better build some experience first, decide on the type of flying you're going to do and then make the decision. An IR is useful for serious touring but if serious touring is not your piece of cake, or doesn't match with your budget, it's a waste of money. And the currency rules for an IR are even stricter than for a VFR PPL so you might end up throwing good money after bad if you find you don't use your IR regularly enough.

(Having said that, if you intend to go commercial, you can do your IR straight after your PPL and use those training hours to count towards your CPL.)