PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Epilepsy
Thread: Epilepsy
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2008, 17:15
andy_sp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all thanks for the info, that does make things a bit clearer.

I do agree that having a variety of rules does seem to complicate matters which is not good for anyone, however these issues are never simple and I do not subscribe to ruling out anyone who has a medical condition from flying.

I know epilepsy understandably would strike fear into most people if they thought we were at controls of a 747 day in day out but it simply not like that. Many people are put on medication and that is the end of it. They never have another black out or fit or aura for the rest of there life.

I do not think we should be precluded from activities such as flying if a doctor believes that the risk of a fit is no more that what over people may encounter. What about an overweight person having a heart attack or even someone over fifty who has smoked for all their life. Why should we be treated differently than others who pose just as great a risk?

Incidentally I believe its about 20% of people with epilepsy that are sensitive to light and flashing.

Thanks for the info, I think this is a pretty good place for a discussion and I am intrigued to hear peoples opinions.