PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do ab-initio graduates afford SSTR programmes e.g. with Ryanair?
Old 30th Jul 2008, 16:58
Vin Diesel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For anyone with an fATPL whether having been through a modular or integrated route being in a position to finance that SSTR could be crucial. (ab initio's can be modular too.)

I wouldn't like to raise the cost of the fATPL course, get the licence, pass an assessment and be offered a place on a TR course, only to have to go to a bank in the current credit crunch environment and ask for £25k particularly if I'm currently unemployed (having just been training full time for a number of months), with already significant debt (some or all of the cost of that modular or integrated training) and then be turned down by the banks as too great a risk.

The numbers might be larger for integrated grads as the course to fATPL is generally more expensive than modular, but the issue, planning your finances for every aspect of your training including such undesirables as partials, retests, SSTR's remains the same.

I wouldn't gamble and stretch to fund a course to fATPL and MCC without factoring in the possible need to pay for a SSTR/Instructors rating at the end, and of course consider that you may need to return to/find alternative non flying employment which will pay enough to service any debt you have from the course and maintain your currency so that you'll be sharp enough to pass the next assessment you're offered.

To answer the original posters original question: How do ab initio grads afford an SSTR? Magic.