PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How did Heathrow used to look ?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2008, 16:10
kala87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is an interesting thread. Here's my memories of "LAP" in the 50's and 60's. My earliest recollection is on 30/09/58 when we flew in a KLM Viscount 803 from LAP northside to Amsterdam. I remember lots of aircraft parked very close together on northside, at around 0800 -0845. Looking at old photos of this area, it appears that in fact only a limited area was used for aircraft parking, out of the total area available between runway 28R/10L and the Bath Road, and aircraft were indeed parked very close, sometimes "double parked" one behind the other. Can someone explain if this was so, and why more stands were not provided. Also, why did KLM continue to use the northside area when the central terminal area was available from 1955 onwards?

Another question: Why was T3/Oceanic Terminal so long in being built, when the facilities at northside were obviously so antiquated and cramped. Frankfurt, Amsterdam and Paris Orly all had far more modern terminals for their long-haul passengers during the 1950's. The northside "terminal" (more like a temporary holiday camp structure) and aircraft parking must have been very cramped by 1961-62, when 707's and DC8's were regularly using northside before T3 was opened in 1962.

I too use to ride my bike through the tunnel in 1965 -1966. Setting out from our home in Hertfordshire, the ride would take about 3 hours, via St.Albans, Watford and Uxbridge, often with a bulky VHF radio in the saddlebag as well. We would arrive at LAP at around 0830, check out any ineresting freighters parked on northside (Capitol C46's, United Arab and Trans-Med. DC6's were common sights), watch some noisy departures if 28R was being used, then cycle through the tunnel for a day's aircraft spotting.

Regarding Runways 23/05, I can remember a British United cargo DC6A landing on 05L in 1965, and a Thai 747 landing on Rwy 23 as late as 1988.

Yes, night departures in piston-engined days could be spectacular. Super Connies and DC7's semed to provide the best pyrotechnics, probably due to the very high temperatures generated by the turbos in the Wright R3350 radials at take-off and METO power settings.

Happy days indeed.