PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Media Paranoia.
Thread: Media Paranoia.
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2008, 15:13
Pugilistic Animus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Media---First let me say there are excellent journalists---Ted Koppel, the late Tim Russert---Jim Lehrer----now, I've noticed that in most other topics journalists tend to refrain from mindless speculation---i.e medicine they'll quote a physician, or science they'll quote a scientist and use accurate simple language---like a piece I read on steam explosions in NYC---[and I know a thing or two about steam]---very accurate!!!

Now, in comes aviation---then all hell breaks loose

examples include:

use of incorrect airport terminology Taxiways for runways Ramp/tarmac for Taxiways, and of course plenty of fear evoking terms--, " near fatal plunge" "seconds from disaster" "plummet", "Fuselage separated", "wing departed" etc...again... not all -----Chuck Scarborough--- does a great job but he's an experienced pilot

So if you don't want a bad reputation don't up!!!

Also, How does an 'journo' truly understand the tech stuff on PpruNe...unless your reading some of the Wiki {injinirs} or MS test pilots---if you're not as pilot or an engineer---and you say you can interpret the {xpurts} on Pprune ---To that----I must say B***

Edited to add: many second and third graders can do a much better job of researching topics than supposedly college educated {junknoless}
Lester

Last edited by Pugilistic Animus; 30th Jul 2008 at 20:29.