PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TSR-2 (Merged a few times)
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2008, 14:11
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barnstormer1968,

With respect I hardly think the F-111 used any TFR developed for the TSR2 !

I also am intrigued by the latter's capability to carry anything on the wings, not just for their relatively tiny size & high loading, also for aerodynamic effect - carrying & releasing / firing tanks or as might have come along, Sidewinders cleanly seems interesting.

As for the wings being 'larger than a Tornado' well I should certainly hope so, as the thing's several factors the size & weight ( & Tornado's don't exactly worry F-16's ).

No-one's answered my query as to what the TSR2 would have been like at altitude (the obvious guess being 'bloody useless' ) which as the Tornado found out is where to be if having any desire to return relatively safely.

Even if the thing was a go-er, we would now - and ideally long since - be arguing about it's replacement - not Tornado, with similar defects to an extent, as inflicted by committee.

Much more likely increasingly stealthy & intelligent cruise missiles & possibly UCAV's - I will never say Duncan Sandys was ahead of his time, he was just a misguided prat - but hey presto, we're in the 21st century.

And on the ' if it looks right it is right' scale, - Yes, it was ugly.

Last edited by Double Zero; 30th Jul 2008 at 14:34.