PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 'Laying Off' 600!!
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2008, 10:37
Day_Dreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always posted on the positive side as far as Ryanair is concerned, and will not change my views.
Having just come back from my first trips with Ryanair as a passenger, I must say I expected nothing, especially after reading the Pprune posts, but got better service and a cleaner aircraft than on some legacy carriers, all for the princely sum of "Nothing" just taxes in either direction.
The food and drinks onboard were no higher priced than in London, the crew were polite and still cheerful on their 3rd / 4th sector of the day.
Booking charges were displayed on their web pages, and the options to check in online or at the airport (added cost) were clearly shown.

Industry T & C's have not been erroded solely because of Ryanair or any low cost operator, but by the Beancounters who rule the accounts departments of ALL carriers.
They see a way to cut costs and benefits they will do, then tell their employees that its because of competition from the low costs, and expect you to swallow that story again and again.

Having been in this industry in the Glory days when men were men etc etc, I can speak from experience.
Its not the low costs in the UK who have dragged down terms and conditions its the accountants and HR office weenies who want to save a penny or two at your expense.

Ryanair may not make a profit next year, but they will still be there in the years to come while other carriers have gone to the wall.
Why, the answer is simple they made the profits in the past and realised the good times could not last for ever, so their fighting fund is available to weather the stormy skies which will be with us for the next 12 months.

My heart felt sorrow will be with the newly qualified boys and girls who will not get a job because there will be too few slots available after their training.
Also there will be many out there facing an uncertain winter as the charter carriers cut back, and there will be the demise of carriers in Europe which will flood the market with qualified pilots.
To get a job will require the right type rating, not just jet experience, for those who recruit will do so on the lowest training cost to the operator, meaning if you fly our type and are current we will take the best on offer.

SSTR's will not die and in recession could well mean that its the only game in town.

I have been in this industry 36 years and have seen and been part of this cyclical merry go round, all I can say is hang in there, and good luck.

Finally I just heard that there is a shortage of Captains in Ryanair and that they may be looking at the USA to fill some of these slots quickly.
I hope there will be no exemptions to the EU rules on eligibility.
European Pilots First and Foremost.