PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas flight low on fuel, reserves switched off
Old 30th Jul 2008, 10:10
Basil-Fawlty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Few Facts

Few facts,
BOAC
" Did the cabin crew say 'What's them yellow thingies on the dashboard"?"
The low pressure lights for the MAIN Tanks' boost pumps will come on if the boost pump pressure is low and the pump switch is ON. For the boost pumps in the No. 1 tank and No. 2 tank, the low pressure lights will come on if the boost pump switch is OFF. For the boost pumps in the centre tank, the low pressure lights are off if the boost pump switch is OFF. Thus, no low pressure lights are on during the usual part of the flight.

The pilot will not be able to operate the elec Hyd pump for long as the HEX need a minimum of 750KG in the main tank.

The Aux tank do not feed directly to the engine. The engine fuel feed system will supply fuel to the engines by a direct tank-to-engine feed or from any tank to either or both engines through the crossfeed valve when the boost pumps are operating.

aflyer100 " Don't we use the centre tank first in the 37?"
You are right, you do use the centre tank first but you have to have the centre pump switches ON. When the switches are on during the flight, the centre tank will feed first any way. This is due to The centre tank boost pumps override tanks No. 1 and 2 boost pumps since pressure from tanks No. 1 and 2 tank boost pumps has to overcome a boost pump check valve cracking pressure.
All aircraft with O/R booster operate with the same principle.i.e B767,B747 etc.
short flight do not require centre tank fuel uplift. Perth to Sydney is a different story.

But then again what do I know about B737 fuel system I am just a hotel owner in Torquay¨!

Safe and happy flying to all from Cybil, poly and Manuel.

BF