PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TSR-2 (Merged a few times)
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2008, 08:30
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tsr2/f111

Booger.
I understand you are a fan of the pig (as most pilots who flew her are it seems) but let not get carried away.
From memory the F111 had more initial problems than the TSR2, and took longer to get off the ground. So while it is/was a very capable aircraft, the TSR2 may well have been also. Many of the components of the TSR2 have gone on to be very successful in other aircraft or other technologies (ISTR that the F111 used many of the systems the TSR2 would have, i.e. terrain following radar).
IMHO the F111 succeeded, due to a proactive U.S. government, while the TSR2 failed due to lacklustre and spineless British ones.
If the TSR2 had gone on to have a long and useful career we will never know. We do know it was MUCH faster than an F111 (useful if being chased by a Mig 21 at the time). It is also VERY apparent that no matter how good the F111 may have been, it never became an export success, and was hardly a NATO standard, such as the F4, F16 etc. Even the Lighting had a better market in sales!

Anyway rant over

Like most Brits, my venom is not directed at anyone outside of the British government of the day.

Booger, I envy you in having flown an aircraft, someone had the Bo**ocks to fund in the first place.

Barnstormer1968