PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do ab-initio graduates afford SSTR programmes e.g. with Ryanair?
Old 30th Jul 2008, 05:57
daria-ox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be honest, I don't really get the wannabe's, at least some of them. I'm a wanna be myself just doing PPL and starting ATPL ground school by the end of this year. It's a fact that sometime in the future I will want to go to work for airlines and I would kick myself if I didn't. I'm doing the training modular way. It will cost me about 38K but there will be some extra's added so I guess I'll spend up to 40K but.. this isn't 70K + living. Another thing is I work 40 hours a week to get what I want, I buy the 10 hours block and by the end of the month I need about 200/300 pound which my parents put in for me. They're helping me out and I got thank them sometimes! My day looks like this.. I get up at 6 am, need to get to work for 8 and it takes me a while to get there. I work until 4/5 pm. I'm home by about 6 pm I eat something and then study for another 2/3 hours. Sometimes on weekends after studying I go out until about 12 pm because I have to get up in the morning and to be honest.. for some it may seem easy.. but this is my first job and sometimes as much as I hate it I have to be there by 6 am to get what I really want from life. So wannabe's going integrated way are just going the easy way.. but they spend a hell lot of money on training, with the 10K or so left if I had the 70K (including type-rating) I rather rent a plane and fly somewhere and enjoy myself..

But all I really always dreamed of was basically flying, being in the air and being free, but I would love to try flying on a Boeing or Airbus, beforehand I will work hard to become and instructor, it's another thing I want to do not to just build up hours like most. I will teach for few years, maybe after 2/3 years move to a charter company and maybe then to airlines with quite good experience? Because Boeing's and Airbuses.. it's a plane, you fly and it has it own experiences but I want to get some 'real' flying experience before I move to airlines, most of you know what I'm talking about