PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shortage of Helicopter Pilots?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2008, 03:45
Front Seater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And this is my humble opinion,

Something had better be done soon otherwise JHC is going to have a whole load of young guys tearing around the sky with very little depth or experience left in the squadrons. I could not believe my ears when I heard a civil servant matter of factly remark that the credit crunch, oil prices and subsequent pinch on the airline market would alleviate the mass exodus of service aircrew!

He obviously hasn't looked at the Flight Global website recently to see that (funny old thing) oil companies are now expanding their exploration activities and which (funny old thing) only helicopters can get to.

There is a shortage of rotary pilots across all Services - of course there is. Yes money does play a huge part in it - CHC/Bristows aircrew can now easily earn above the salary of a military pilot - and the old 6 weeks on 6 weeks off (or what ever the rosta) is certainly more stable than JHC units (and when you are home with a civilian employer - you are exactly that - home!). What I am finding is that it is the loved ones that are forcing their aircrew partners to leave because bottom line a divorce and custody battles are far more expensive (and painful) than any FRI. Currently the FRIs (for some!) and salaries are not providing the balance to those that regularly deploy into harms way - and we are no longer talking NI or the Balkans here.

The hierarchy and the Treasury can say what they want about not increasing public sector pay, but as always it will be market forces and there is a lot out there to either 'push' aircrew of the Forces out or 'pull' them into civvie street.

There are other factors apart from the obvious of pay and family. I am fortunate in that I fly one of JHC's most advanced aircraft - however, I do know that there are others that are litterally flogging a dead horse with their aircraft type and their morale is pretty low. I have witnessed crews (no names no pack drills - but we know the airframe) get really disappointed because they could not deliver what the guys wanted, and so were replaced by something else that could do their job for them. No wonder so many of those aircrew either leave or transfer to something that 'does what is advertised on the tin' and delivers something.

The last thing which I find amazing is that the whole agency and civilianisation of key organisations and desks has effectively eaten away at the forces morale from the inside. Whether it is the JPAC 'disineterested' operator or the Treasury that has absolutely no idea what the implications and consequences of its decisions when it doesn't fund aircraft and equipment.

Afghanistan and Iraq are a long way from the British public, especially in tight economic circumstances and a Govt that is struggling.

Family, Pay, Equipment and Leadership - not rocket science