PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas 744 Depressurisation
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2008, 02:49
pacplyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting thought.
Many people have also probably wondered about what would have happened if the liberated O2 found an ignition source but have tastefully kept their thoughts to themselves. At the risk of starting a bleak discussion, my understanding is that cargo fire systems are based on fire suppression only.
Point taken grumpy. I had already deleted previous post.
Turns out to be another oxygen irony
Firstly: backup system places demands upon itself (as rumour has it)
Secondly: Redeems itself by creating hole in hull that reduces potentially dangerous enriched oxygen area.

Exactly loadeddog,

I think we're all thinking the same thing after that last enlarged photo showing [possible] black charing:

[Hypothetically speaking only:]
The oxygen [and unknown fuel source like hydrogen from a battery] ignited from a spark (perhaps in the adjacent (e&e) electrical bay) caused an explosion yielding the sidewall, causing the decompression.

The decompression snuffed out the fire before it could it could get burning significantly. The debris we see hanging out was sucked into place after the tank, sidewall and fairing fell away in the slipstream; hence, it shows no evidence of scorching and fooled the chit out of us for days.....

Plausible?

pac "Sherlock" plyer

Last edited by pacplyer; 30th Jul 2008 at 12:44. Reason: formatting, added hypothetically, possible black charing, quotes, [added fuel source via cwatters et al]