PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Realm of the Possible - What Do We Need?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2008, 21:04
BJC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
collectives that shake and kick???

I think what people are really asking for when they suggest vibrating controls is feedback to the pilot that he is about to approach a limit. I'd humbly suggest that vibrating controls are a step backwards and really don't help when you need it. Sure you know you are approaching a limit, but it is very challenging to actually milk the aircraft for all its worth when the controls are moving in your hands. There are systems in development for FBW aircraft that can modfiy the forces fedback to the pilot to let him know he is approaching a limit in a much less intrusive manner. IMHO that is what we need, computer controlled force/displacement cues to protect the aircraft yet let us pull for all its worth when we absolutely need it. We need carefree handling throughout the envelope, both from the powertrain and the flight controls. Ever heard an F-16 pilot being lectured by an experienced pilot on the need to be gentle with the aircraft? Now substitute helicopter pilot for F-16 and answer that question. Carefree handling and envelope protection please! Pilots shouldn't have to "milk" the aircraft it should willingly and safely give you all it's worth, and then more in an emergency.
Other than that wish, I second SASless and Troglodita comments to help get Bell out of the 70's...