PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying to Edinburgh
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2008, 16:31
PPRuNeUser0178

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just found this thread and thought that I would add that a few weeks ago whilst taxying out at EDI I overheard a disscussion between what looked like a PA-28 and ATC.

The PA-28 was sitting about half way up 12/30 waiting to go the GAT, and there was another light aircraft waiting to get out to fly.

The PA-28 was a visitor and had booked through Signature and was self handling ( what ever that means ).

What happened next beggered belief ( and this was not the fault of EDI ATC - for once - as they just pass on the message from Blood Awful Airports ).

ATC : " The airport authority say that the GAT is full and have asked you to leave"

PA-28 : " I have booked in with Signature and they said it was fine "

ATC : " I ll get back to you "

ATC : " Nope, full up you are asked to leave"

PA-28 : " I was going to be staying for a couple of days "

ATC : " Sorry you have to leave"

PA-28 : " Well I do have a pregnant lady on board who needs the loo and I also need fuel "

I had to leave at this point so I don't know how it turned out, but I have been around EDI airport for over a decade now, and GA is just not welcome, they have made that clear.

On a Saturday if the weather is nice and ATC have tower doing ground as well you can hear the irritation in soem controllers voice when PPLs want in and out of the zone or the airfield, its just very busy.

However if you do go to Fife, I would advise you to hangar the aircraft ( I believ there is plenty available ), The airfield is NOT secure and aircraft and cars have been vandalised badly there if left outside in the past. Hangarage is fine though. I do believe Cumbernauld is at least surrounded by a big fence. Glenrothes is not.