PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Side slipping....problems?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2001, 16:33
AC-DC

Dave Incognito
Side-slip in the PA28 is limited due to the possibility that the centrifugal force on the fuel in the tanks will move it away from the feeding lines to the engine. This problem might happen when you fly with less than ½ tank. This is the explanation in my POH for a PA24. Anyway, if you need to side-slip for that long you have done something very wrong, go around.

Foghorn
I had the same problem. All you need to do is to seat and wait. You must be able to control you approach speed. As you reach the hedge pull the throttle and pull the yoke slowly towards you in order to keep the a/c floating above the r/w, Don’t worry about the high nose eventually the a/c will stall and you will find out that you have just perform a very good short landing.
Think about the way that tail draggers perform 3 points landing. Take you time and practice.

I believe that sid-eslip is a good manoeuvre to know. We were flying to Germany in a high winged twin. We spotted the airfield when we nearly were on top of it, maybe ¾ of a mile abeam the r/w. We were fast and high. I called final, cleared to land by ATC with a question if I can make it, my response was that I can only try.
Engines were closed, flaps went full down (30º) to increase drag, cross controls to sideslip and nose down to keep the airflow. We descended like a brick. We touched just behind the numbers and were about 5kt too fast.
But I must admit that I do not side-slip very often.

Now a question of my own.
I heard that in the States they have a Side slip and a Forward slip. The American Side-slip is what we call Crabbing and the American Forward slip is what we call Side-slip.
Any help/knowledge about this one?

If the above is correct, it means that the POH say ‘Do not Crab approach’ which does not make sense to me.
Therefore there can be two possibilities. The first one that I did not understand what I was told and the second, that the other block did not understand.
Thanks for your comments.