PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Media Paranoia.
Thread: Media Paranoia.
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2008, 11:46
NSEU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
757_Driver:
Maybe the media in Australia are whiter than the driven snow and care about facts,...
Don't worry, the Australian media are no better than the UK ones. Example: Readers of PPRuNe will instantly recognise the picture of the potable water cylinders, posted in today's Daily Telegraph, labelled as "oxygen cylinders". The PPRuNe picture poster gave warning that the picture may not have been relevant. The Telegraph was less forthcoming.

Jonny Suave Trousers:
but you guys contradict yourselves so often
Do you mean we contradict ourselves... or one another? We have differences of opinion, sure, but in many cases we offer opinion based on many years of experience in our respective fields and on our particular aircraft. It doesn't mean we are necessarily wrong for our own aircraft type/variation (no two aircraft are alike, even if they do have the same numbers and colours on them).
Despite what you say, this is probably one of the better places to come to for information. PPRuNe usually spots, in time, those less-than-expert "experts" the media love to quote. However, I do understand, that, unfortunately, you don't always have the luxury of being able to wait for the truth to come out (Headlines can't wait).

On being sued...
I really don't think newspapers should be terribly worried about being sued over being inaccurate... unless, of course, the comments expressed come down to a more personal level. Sorry to say this, but sometimes we actually do get a big laugh at how wrong the media gets it. However, having said that... what does worry me, is that we don't always know how wrong you get it in other fields (and I don't just mean horoscopes and weather reports ).

Rgds.
NSEU