PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Service Personnel Command Paper
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2008, 08:44
dallas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RAF_SARGE
Thanks for the link but although there are a number of reasonable measures in there it stops short of what we really want. An increase in X-factor and a large, above inflation, pay rise, say 8% minimum. Sadly I don't see that being forthcoming?
I think X-factor is a much under used stick/carrot. Although intended to compensate for the 'exigencies of Service life', it still seems that those who cannot/do not commit to these exigencies, continue to receive it. Until this 15-ish% of our wages is used in a more intelligent way - as a bonus for maintaining readiness and a penalty to those who cannot do so (with the knock-on incentive to return to the deployable fold asap) - it might as well not exist. Notwithstanding those who are genuinely ill/injured, there are still those who will find any way they can to get out of their less palatable service commitments, and I think the lack of any sort of penalty just makes this more prevalent.

As for 8% pay rise, I actually disagree. No matter what the pay level, people will always adjust to spending it, so it's a short term measure that won't necessarily do much good. Better to target those who fulfil their commitments with different bonuses than apply a broad brush. And yes, that might create a 'them and us' - so what - it exists when it comes to stuff like deployments, guard etc.