PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas 744 Depressurisation
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2008, 07:05
NSEU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The daily rags just keep getting worse....

Today, the Daily Telegraph used the pics of the potable water bottles in Post #521 to show what oxygen bottles look like! No doubt, I could have posted a pic of a fire bottles and they wouldn't have known any better

Here's a typical installation of passenger bottles in the right hand sidewall of the Forward Cargo (looking slightly towards the aft of the aircraft).

As mentioned previously, the 4th bottle along "gave way".

Rumour has it that half (exact percentage not known) the bottle went up through the cargo ceiling (into the cabin), and the other half went through the side of the fuselage.

The tech crew bottles are mounted horizontally, forward of the pax bottles (adjacent to the cargo door). The cargo fire bottles are mounted aft of the last bottle shown here (behind the panel labelled "5".
There are six more passenger bottles mounted in the cargo ceiling on this particular aircraft.

On this particular aircraft, the fabric panels are secured with press studs and velcro. These are shown hanging down. The ceiling panels are zippered and have velcro.

The bottles shown here are not of the Aluminium/Kevlar variety. They appeared to be of the steel(?) type

Regarding the comments about the ILS.... The Localiser system uses the VOR antenna on the top of the vertical stabiliser (fin) until LOCaliser or APProach mode is selected on the Autopilot Mode Control Panel. The coaxial cables must run down the fuselage somehow, but, from memory, I don't know if they run in the ceiling or in the sidewalls. I have seen quite a few coaxes in the ceiling, but they could have been HF.

Rgds.
NSEU

Last edited by NSEU; 29th Jul 2008 at 07:26.