PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 28th Jul 2008, 20:14
JFZ90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did a search for "aircraft fuel leak" in google, and came up with...

Air Transat Flight 236 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Passengers in mutiny over 'fuel leak' jet - Telegraph

Al Jazeera English - Asia-Pacific - Fuel leak may have caused jet fire

Pilot lands safely after fuel leak | Airline Industry Information | Find Articles at BNET

Aviation Maintenance Magazine :: Fuel Leak From Human Error

Fuel leak may have caused Taiwanese jet fire - USATODAY.com

First Nimrod story at number 10.

Fuel leak blamed for RAF Nimrod crash | UK news | guardian.co.uk

There are alot of Nimrod stories for sure, so I'm not having a go TD, but all aircraft can/do leak, not just Nimrod - lets not loose sight of that.

Then again there is always this story -

British Airways jet crash at Heathrow caused a masive fuel leak - mirror.co.uk

- interesting that the cause of this fuel leak has been deemed a flawed implementation in all Boeing 777s - I wonder if the changes demanded by the CAA/FAA in the aftermath of this have all been embodied or whether many 777s are still flying with the "not as safe as it could be" fuel 'stopcock' cockpit moding that contributed to causing this (fortunately not lethal) leak. PS I know this had no bearing on what caused the crash in the first place.

Craig Hoyle of Flight International magazine said it was becoming "politically unacceptable" to upgrade the Nimrod airframe. "The findings of the board of inquiry report into the crashed Nimrod reach over into the R1 fleet as well."
This is the real issue here, as I feared this has now got nothing to do with engineering and risk, and more to do with whether the Govt is seen to be "doing something about Nimrod, as its in the papers, and is damaging". Politics and airworthiness shouldn't mix, but they clearly are here.