PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do ab-initio graduates afford SSTR programmes e.g. with Ryanair?
Old 28th Jul 2008, 19:46
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not going to trash you, Kilo. Because I agree. I've come across a few of those types myself lately. Which amazes me really because it's a fairly new phenomenon. Pilots as are rule are self selecting and rather single minded in the ambitions but of late there I've met a few and heard of others who want to go straight to jets. No other flying will do. They will actually turn down a flying job because they don't like flying 'little aeroplanes'. The problem is that one or two of them actually get straight into jets and decide it's not really their thing after all.

Without any evidence to suggest it. I would think that most if not all come from integrated courses because modular pilots must of neccessity be rather more dedicated and self motivated to achieve their goal. Hard work though an integrated course may be. It is very structured and you really have nothing else to do but study and train. Like the military. I always imagine the typical disillusioned 'cadets' are similar. Probably from comfortable background, never had to work to hard for anything but did well in school anyway. Didn't really know what they wanted from life but knew it wasn't any boring career like Law or finance. Didn't fancy the military either. But hmm, airline pilot looks good. Fancy uniforms, good pay, travel, looks exciting. Daddy and Mummy have the cash to indulge their whim, so off to OAA they go.

I came across one or two older experienced pilots like this, mainly I must say, products of the sponsored cadet schemes. From their attitude you have to wonder why they don't just pack it in and do something else and let people who like the job get a look in.

It's the same in every profession, there are plenty of lawyers, accountants, Doctors etc who hate their jobs. But once sucked in they can't give up on the salary.