PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747-200F down in Bogota ?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2008, 02:43
zerozero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm an FO on the -200 and have personally experienced an engine "surge" due to what I believe was the "uncovering" of the fuel pumps with a light fuel load.

I'm well aware of the 18 degree pitch limitation and in this case I believe it was observed at all times but we were climbing out, light weight, full climb power in a 30 degree left hand turn when the #4 engine experienced a momentary surge.

There was some mild yawing and rolling and as I was finishing the turn we had a discussion about pitch attitude and fuel pump configuration.

Obviously from my standpoint I can't observe the fuel panel but as #4 fully recovered and we continued on our merry way I could only surmise there was a momentary "interruption" of fuel flow.

Our professional FEs are highly experienced and not pilots waiting for the upgrade to the right hand seat so I'm fully confident he wasn't the source of our small problem.

I certainly don't offer this anecdote as a possible scenario for the Bogota accident, just merely wanted to address the issue that, yes, I believe under certain circumstances (high pitch and bank angles, low fuel load) the pumps may be uncovered.