PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diamond Twin-star
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2008, 23:20
First.officer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, trained on the Diamond DA42 with the G1000, now flying the Citation CJ's with Collins Proline setup and all i can say is that flying the G1000 if nothing else made the whole transition to the CJ's a whole lot easier with the Proline setup - all looks very similar in various respects to me and i would consider that if i'd flown the Seneca etc. for the IR it would have made my own personal transition a more protracted affair !.

Will say the FADEC setup made life easier for engine failures - will also admit that all the Senecas i've flown compared to the DA42 were awful bloody things - always different layouts etc., tatty and well past their sell by date in my opinion - each to their own i'd guess but if i had to choose again i'd take the DA42 every time, notwithstanding current engine problems.

Not sure how things are now with aviation recruitment but find it strange if a majority of recruiters out there are rejecting candidates because they did it the DA42 way rather than the PA34 etc., seems very short sighted if so as i'm sure there are equally good newbies from both the old and new camps - i get the feeling there is a little bit of a feeling amongst some individuals of "cheating" with regard to completing an IR on the DA42 which in my opinion is not so - suspect this is more to do with "doing things the good old fashioned way" rather than welcoming new equipment to the training arena although i will accept that the "good old fashioned way" may benefit those seeking work in the air taxi world with traditional analogue setups.

Just an opinion with all the above, i'm still fairly new to the world of commercial aviation and this should be borne in mind with all of the above comments i've made !!