PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Portabler GPS for Private Flying in CESSNA
Old 27th Jul 2008, 23:04
bigfoot01
The Original Foot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a 296 fan...

Well, I have really struggled to get on with my 296. I have for some time used a Garmin 60CX. This offers you the ability to set up a track and then measure your deviation from it (rather lack a VOR readout). It is much simpler than the 296 and doesn't have a built in database. But I programme my way points in from Memory Map. This has been fine, but I have always fancied having a finger on the chart readout. In the early days, I dabbled with Ipaq's and associated gps's, but didn't get on very well, as they needed charging or would crash etc. This thread encouraged me to revisit this. I have just picked up a ipaq RX5935 travel companion from ebay. This has a built in Sirf Star III GPS and works a treat. I am going to use this for my finger on the map and a backup from the 60cx. The battery life is excellent. Apart from the complexity of the 296 (which is a problem of me!) I am also concerned about the old fashioned gps receiver in all of the garmin aviation range. They do need an external aerial and I have had problems even then. Having a manual database does input another increased risk of error, but I have to say I have never had a problem and I always do my manual planning also, although when everything is running well, i will tend to look at my gps first and occassionally mark my position/time on the chart rather than following DI, watch etc. Probably makes me a bad person - but there you go! I am well chuffed now that memory map prices are more reasonable and am awaiting the new Northern Chart...