PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Re-regulation Of The Airline Industry
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2008, 21:48
GetTheFlick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two things need to happen in the U.S.

1) All commercial airports need to have access limited to their capacity. IOW, if it's a 60 airplane-an-hour-airport -- the airlines should not be allowed to schedule 100 ops per hour. That leads to a couple of practical problems -- Who decides what the capacity is and once the decision is made, who decides who gets to use the airport. "The Market" has not been able to make a rational decision (or any decision at all really) about this in the 30 years of deregulation. It won't make one tomorrow or the next day or the next.

2) There needs to be some limit on the number of new entrants in the market. Right now, even as I write this, somebody is out there thinking, "Gee, I can pick up some airplanes really cheap. I think I'll start an airline. The established airlines cannot compete against this. They'll bleed to death until the "new" airline is the "established" airline and the process starts all over again.

#1 might take care of #2. It might not. Regardless, what we are doing now is not working and it hasn't been working.

If anyone can think of another entity to handle all this besides the government, I'd be glad to listen to it. I'm pretty sure this is the reason humanity started governments though -- for the common good.

Don Brown