PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas 744 Depressurisation
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2008, 18:01
G-CPTN
Resident insomniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If we are to believe the report of the first 'clunk' (20 mins ex-LHR), is it not possible that was the alleged bottle dislodging ? After which it could have rolled around down there sustaining increasing damage until it finally let go from an undetermined position; conceivably the necessary 'several metres' from impacting the skin.
Stopover in Hong Kong.
Would cargo hold door be opened?
(I assume that baggage not for/from Hong Kong would remain in situ, therefore any derangement of the oxygen cylinders wouldn't therefore be noticed?)
Is the area where the hole appeared part of the cargo hold? (I understand that it might be 'curtained-off')

There appeared to be a hole in the cabin floor (I think I saw a picture). Is this directly above the structural hole? Could this be explained by 'suction' from the evacuation of the cabin air through the breach in the structure? There was talk of papers etc flying around the cabin.
OTOH, any upward rupture of the cabin floor would indicate an 'explosion' of some sort (I'm not suggesting a chemical detonation, merely rapid expansion of a gas, as occurs when a child's balloon bursts).

The 'bent back inwards' edge of that failed skin (front of 'hole'

from:- http://media.aftenposten.no/archive/...___816172a.jpg ) suggests that there was a larger piece attached immediately post-'failure' that was subsequently blown backwards by the airstream before (eventually) being w*nked off (bending backwards and forwards as you would to 'break' a piece of metal by fatigue failure), leaving an inwards bending edge.

Last edited by G-CPTN; 27th Jul 2008 at 18:44.