PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Open Skies lifestyle
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2008, 08:26
ea306

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen,

This thread has been an interesting read. Forgive me if my question seems a bit strange, as I am a British born Canadian and have spent my career thus far mostly in Canada with the exception of a short stint in the Middle East as well as doing some extended charter work in the UK with a Canadian company under contract to a UK operation.

Having spent most of my career flying under the abysmal Canadian Air Regulations with some of the worse Crew Flight Duty Time regulations in the Western Hemisphere and also having only known non-augmented two pilot crew trans-Atlantic operations; I am curious to know if Open Skies makes use of a program similar to what we have in Canada known as: Controlled Rest in the Flight Deck.

Does the CAA and BA make a provision available to flight crew to get some "on duty" rest while working the type of rosters previous posters have described? Is getting a nap frowned upon in this type of operation or is it generally accepted?

The roster patterns mentioned are very difficult to maintain without there being a degradation in Human Performance.

Personally I appreciate working in the UK under your JAR-OPS for crew duty times and limitations as compared to what we have here in Canada.

Look forward to reading your comments...

David