PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Era Helicopters
Thread: Era Helicopters
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2008, 02:31
jab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Draadkar

You can disregard most of what you hear on the dark side, too many idiots with an axe to grind. If you do get good information, someone will heap dirt on top of it until you are not sure which version is the truth. I take what I read there with a big pinch of salt.

I also worked for Era but only about 5 months and I left because of my home situation, not due to the company. I must admit, offshore in the GOM is not my favourite, especially in the big ships with legs of 90 to 115 miles over water, very boring but some guys will like that. Weather was good during my time so nothing exciting happened.

I found the training to be very good, minor hiccups here and there in scheduling who goes where but it is a big company with a lot happening, I accepted that so it did not bug me.

I never did workover because I was living on a different continent, too complicated to get into but it was my reason for leaving. Workover was available and paid well, some 61 captains were making about $110 000 a year with a few workovers, not bad.

I was not on one dedicated contract but some ships were and it could go either way, lots of flying some days and very little on others. I averaged 50 hours every two weeks.

I was impressed with the aircraft being flown, mine was ancient but in excellent condition for an old bus. Lots of new stuff either already there or soon will be. If you work hard and keep your nose clean promotion will come quickly.

Maintenance on my type was very good. Being an older type there were many small snags but sorted out quickly. I heard a lot of the maintenance guys have left so I don't know what its like now, I left 2 years ago.

I enjoyed working there.