PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training at West Palm Beach: Ocean Helicopters /Cloud 9
Old 26th Jul 2008, 20:47
TJF97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hell Pirate,
If you didn't know before you posted, then you do now, there are in fact TWO Rotary Schools at North County (F45).

In some ways they are similar and in others they are completely different. like all rival companies, in a similar situation, one will always talk about the other in a negative way and vice versa. Perhaps in this case, this enviroment has rubbed off onto the students and they feel a sense of loyalty to the school they have trained at.

Personally I would make your own mind up, if you can why not go and have a look at both if you can. If you can't then don't worry, its a great airport to train at, whoever that is with.

As someone who has trained at North County, I would say that you definetly need a car. The airport is a minimum of 10 miles from the nearest school accomodation. In my case I originally got a car from the North County FBO and it cost a fortune! I then booked one in the UK over the internet, and got a better price which included ALL the insurances, picked it up from PBI.

Its personal choice but I went for the cheapest/smallest car because all I wanted was four wheels to get around and some A/C to stay cool.

Get used to Publix's, super market. If I wasn't flying I always seemed to be in Publix, sad but true. If you want some cheap food, go to the food court at Gardens Mall. The best subs were found at John Smith's on PGA Bvld.

If your buying any pilot equipment, don't get it from Banyan's at Fort Lauderdale Exec, its expensive! Get it shipped in from out of state so you don't pay the tax!

I ate out ever day, after a while it adds up! Save some money and make your own food.

They are my tips, I'm not sure who had the most helicopters and what type, didn't really care to be honest. I had a goal to fly every day and save a bit of money compared to the UK. I think I achieved both goals.

TJF97