PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair pilot recruitment coming to talk to United Airlines pilots?
Old 26th Jul 2008, 15:19
waterfalls123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
follow up questions please....

Thanks sr for your response. I am asking these questions on behalf of many of our soon-to-be furloughed pilots, as many of them are about to lose their jobs here at United with little to no prospect of finding a flying job in the U.S., not even at a $20,000/year regional airline.

And I did a cursory search on Ryanair and spent about an hour reading. I also read your link that you gave me but it was 2 years old. Is the information in that link still pretty current?

1) In the e-mail sent to the United pilots who are soon to be furloughed, it linked to the Ryanair payscales on their website. As I mentioned, those payscales are quite a bit higher than what we earn here in the U.S. Are you saying that in the EU those payscales aren't competitive and our furloughees would be undercutting the competition with those payscales?

2) I realize that there are probably a million posts on this topic, but unfortunately I just don't have the time to piece together information from several dozen threads. Could someone tell me, in a nutshell, what a U.S. pilot with an U.S. ATP would have to do in order to work for a European carrier (like Ryanair), as far as certification goes. As a temporary contract pilot, would they have to do anything at all?

3) What advice would you guys give to a United pilot who is about to be furloughed and looking at working for Ryanair for a few years until the industry rights itself in the U.S.?

4) What questions should a United pilot who is about to be furloughed ask the Ryanair pilot recruiter?

5) What is the current lifestyle of a Ryanair contract pilot like?

Please feel free (anyone!) to post your opinion. This recruiter is coming soon and I want to get as much information together for our soon-to-be furloughed guys. PM me if desired.

Thank you for your time.