PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: ASA Staff Shortage
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2008, 11:12
max1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted this elsewhere but think it is pertinent

TIBA is not a result of looking forward at the upcoming EBA, but actually looking back at the way we have been used and ignored for the last 10 years.
We are actually recompensed for coming in our days off, but are tired of having to do it.

Tired of telling them for years there is a staffing problem.
Tired of being told for years that there is no staffing problem.
Tired of BS press releases that say that ASA were unaware of the problem.
Tired of assurances that they are now aware and it is now being addressed.
Tired of bloated management structures.
Tired of being tired.
Tired of letting our families down.
Tired of not being released for jobs we have won.
Tired of weasel words.
And Tired of being slandered in the media.

ASA have said they are recruiting 95 controllers this year and 100 next year, THEY ARE NOT. They are ATTEMPTING to recruit TRAINEES. They want people who have a degree (to show they can study),and who have some workforce experience (to show they can work) for this they are willing to offer $35k p.a. There is no guarantee they will get through after 18 months. Washout is tracking around 50%.

The people we REALLY need, are already probably earning around $50k and are smart enough to realise why take a drop in pay to work for that, and have no guarantee of a job, and then take 13 years to get to the ceiling(@135k), work shiftwork, Xmas , Easter, and can be rung 24/7/ 365 to attend . The people we really want will probably be making our top money in 10 years where they are with no ceiling and no shiftwork.

The 63% quoted payrise was not suggested for CONTROLLERS, it was suggested to attract suitable applicants to get them to apply. We are not asking for 63%. We suggested somewhere over $52K would be what ASA should be advertising to get the right people, so we don't waste expensive training resources on people who can't make it.

The spin doctors leapt on this and fed it to their tame reporter mates getting them to quote 63%,63%,63% which I notice has now crept to 64% in The Age article .

Since then its all been about ASA damage control. You can only keep drawing on your controllers goodwill, and pride in keeing the airspace open for so long, and ASA passed it about 12 months ago. When they took 106 controllers off the line by offering up to 100% pay increases to sign AWAs and become managers Some have less than 2 years experience.

They no longer manage aircraft, they manage 'people' , it is about one $160-185k manager to 10 controllers.
Who is co-erced into yet again filling the management induced holes in the roster.

I have had enough, I am looking back 10 years, not looking forward to an EBA that is still 5 months away.
When ASA own up to their mistakes, and I CAN SEE (not BS press releases that have no basis in fact) that they are taking REAL steps to address the staffing problems that they have created, and that the light at the end of the tunnel isn't another freight train, then I will be willing to leave my family and work on MY DAYS OFF to alleviate TIBA.