PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2008, 07:02
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Modern Elmo,

We have spoken before. You leave hanging statements without conclusions - I know you do have a point to make except that you have not made it yet.

In answer to your leading question the answer is both No and Yes. I could stop there .

In the world wars the answer was of course No apart from Taranto where the RAF had, IIRC, torpedo bombers too. The difference was that the Royal Navy conceived a plan that others had not thought of. Carriers were only incidental.

And Yes. Today's air forces have global reach and could reach any part of the planet.

In your final list you omitted the Bismark. Although crippled by carrier borne aircraft she was finally located by land based MP.

The Repulse and POW were sunk by land-based aircraft. Attacks on the Scharnhorst were by land-based naval aircraft. The Glorious was sunk by land based aircraft.

This tale of woe underlines not the essential nature of carriers or indeed ships but their very vulnerability in littoral, in the widest sense, operations.