PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying is dangerous??
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2001, 23:29
52049er

SB22 - you have to be a bit careful with stats on this one... "Obviously its safer than driving a car"

errrm, no. Not if you take the number of accidents as a ratio of actual journeys. Most of the "safest form of travel" quotes come from looking at accidents per mile, which is a bit unfair as aircraft fly so far on each journey. In accidents per journey, trains are the safest, bikes are the worst. Air travel comes out somewhere between the two, but below cars.

Even a rough look at the stats proves this - 50 million people in the UK, 10 a day killed on the roads, must be about 30-40 million car journeys a day? therefore 1 in 4 million car journeys ends in a fatality. Air travel is not as good as that.

And yes it concerns me, especially as I'll be first at the centre of the scene of the accident However, it doesnt concern me as much as driving home at night, in the rain and missing people who have not had their skills tested for 40 years by 3 feet whilst travelling at a combined speed of 120 mph . Up there at least our lovely ATCO's keep me a decent distance away from everyone else.