PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Renegade' controllers leave pilots flying blind: air chief
Old 26th Jul 2008, 02:14
Marauder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

TIBA has got worse lately because of the acceleration in retirements.

These retirements have not suddenly occurred but most have been planned for over 10 years. i.e. A controller at say age 45 decides that he will have had enough by age 55.

From the outside looking in, it appears to me that ASA management has failed to recruit adequately to cover even planned retirements, let alone the “defections” to more lucrative overseas posts.

A suggestion to make TIBA less palatable for ASA managers is to impose a substantial monetary fine on their collective bonuses every time a TIBA occurs, I suggest that instead of the spin doctoring and posturing that is currently occurring, a solution may become closer to hand.

As an aside to working on days off, whilst I can’t quote the precise reg/s (which I am sure are similar to those applicable to pilots), it is an offence to attend or attempt to attend duty, whilst fatigued, stressed etc, More importantly it is an offence under the Commonwealth Crimes act, to coerce or attempt to coerce a person to break any regulation, therefore if an ASA manager attempts to “pressure” a person to attend work outside of their rostered shift, they are committing a criminal offence, and should be subject to the full force of the law.