PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will the bottom of the barrel ever be scraped for pilots in the future?
Old 26th Jul 2008, 01:27
Vortex Thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel CamelToe read the thread before making asinine comments

CamelhAir VT, five years looking for a job during the biggest recruitment boom in years? When anyone with a licence, except the most useless muppets, found a job?
The world doesn't owe you a job VT, some people who hold a CPL will never fly a commercial airliner. Some just aren't good enough. If you haven't made it during the recent boom, maybe you need to honestly assess your suitability for the job.
As for your extreme willingness to cut your, and everyone else, throat in the process, let's all fervently hope you never get a flying job.
CamelhAir I do hope that your attention to detail is better when you come to looking at your FCOMs and SOPs. I never for a moment stated that the world owes me anything. In fact if you read above in the thread you will see that I am trying to champion the cause of meritocracy and advocate that in a perfect aviation world airlines would only select the BEST candidates available. To do this they need to interview everyone suitably, or at the least equally, qualified rather than just taking those from their preferred schools or those who have managed to be lucky enough to have found the right contact at the right time.

As for me I do have a job flying 737s thank you very much for asking. If you bothered to read this thread from the beginning you would notice that:-

a) I actually state on more than one occasion that no one should have to pay to get a job but that is the way it is. Hence my post entitled I just want the same for everyone only 4 posts ago!

b)my point is about the fact that some of my colleagues whom I know to be better pilots than I have still yet to get a job, many others took five years in the same market when pilots who by THEIR own admission were not as good did so in weeks.

The reasons for this are not because they are not good enough but because they have not managed to get interviews. Getting a job is easy once you have the interview. If you get interviews and fail them THEN you can worry as to whether you are good enough or not. The problem is that most airlines do not select from a level playing field. I agree with you Berks flyer not all good pilots have a good academic record, my point which you seem desperate to avoid is that when you look at a CV you have to select them for something. There is nothing on most peoples CV saying how good a pilot they are so how comes some people with proven FLYING ability AND strong academics are not being interviewed when others with lesser both are. I am not saying that airlines are hiring poor pilots I am saying that the best pilots are not in the best jobs i.e. a meritocracy there are excellent pilots who cannot get interviews when average pilots with a bit more "luck" you call it have managed to do so.

I am not talking about anyone being selected over anyone else. That is down to the individual, if you get an interview and fail it then there is no come back, you were either not good enough or do not fit. As I also stated I have never failed a selection and have been offered every single flying job that I have been interviewed for, my point was not about ME it was about those other unfortunates who have not been selected because they have NOT BEEN INTERVIEWED that is why ABLE pilots sometimes have to pay to get on in aviation. It doesn't matter how much money you have if you do not have the ability the problem is until the airlines invest time and money in a fair selection process we will continue to see pilots with high ability going to other jobs elsewhere if they do not have the funds or willingness to part with cold hard cash.

CamelToe don't misplace my desire to fly with a willingness to cut anyone's throat. I have more than earned my right to do what I do for a living and I want it perhaps more than many but that is why I DID make it the point we should all hopefully be aiming for is that it should not be luck of the draw it should purely be about the most able pilots in the best jobs.

The only people who need to reassess their processes are those who let this happen rather than doing something about it.

I really am not sure how much clearer I can make this point.