PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 25th Jul 2008, 23:14
Pilotess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the magic phone call saying have been successful and in pool for long haul fleet (although they asked if I'd be happy with short haul - yes!).

I'd say the key thing about the sim is to have an awareness of CRM as your top priority. The flying is hard work as raw data manual flying skills are easily lost by most of us when we have the luxury of the fd's and ap/at.

I heard the general consensus is: UK based airfields with one of you diverting to a radar vectored ILS and then one of you going A to B with a procedural NPA. It doesn't matter who goes first as they appear to have already decided which one of you does what. You will both do a SID, cruise and hold, STAR and approach. The 'practice' flying - ahead to 3000' vectors to an ILS - is allegedly also assessed and that is where they may ask you questions, although I was only asked about my career so far - nothing mathmatical thank God.

My sim partner and I made sure that our CRM was good - we discussed what we were going to say and were expecting to hear (from different airlines and therefore SOPs varied greatly). We were supportive and proactive without prompting and removing the opportunity to let the other one get on with flying. We handed over control when appropriate for approach set up, briefing, PA's and NITS and used the a/p above transition.

The 744 looks very similar to the 73NG. The big differences to that are the lack of trim wheel, EICAS messages for gear and speed brake, MCP display and modes / buttons are slightly different (the course selection for the nav aids is done through the FMC). It is very stable on approach and if you fly the 737 you will have a tendency to over control the aircraft and it is tricky to trim. The pitch and power settings do work and so if all else fails just go back to using the numbers. And remember to flare at 50'!

We were given a debrief and had the opportunity to discuss what went well and what we did wrong. I'd suggest that owning up to everything is key - they see everything from the magic seat back there and wouldn't like to be treated as fools. I also think saying positive things about your sim partner in their PM/PF role is good CRM and believe that is something they want to hear.

Have no idea when the course date is and gather there is some talk of changes to recruitment but will keep positive until I hear otherwise.