PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway length required for safe operations
Old 25th Jul 2008, 22:41
weido_salt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends where you want to "draw the line". The sensible line is the LFL and BFL, not somewhere in between LFL and landing distance

Some owners can be difficult. If you "help them out" once then some expect it, from then on ("you did it last time Captain so why not again?") and you have backed yourself into a corner. They don't get to be very wealthy by being dictated to in their business dealings.

However they have employed you to operate their aircraft in a safe and responsible manner. Yes they will push the boundaries, mainly to see how far they can get with you. This is where air experience and age comes in.

If something were to go wrong and there was to be an accident, whether it be LFL or BFL related, that same boss (assuming he/she survives) will be the first to enquire "why did you reduce those stated safety margins Captain?"

You will get more respect from these guys if you make a stand and lay the ground rules early. If they don't like it and wont accept it, inform them politely to find someone to operate their multi million $ aircraft, who is willing to operate with less safety margins. If they take you up on your suggestion, then they are probably not worth working for.

BTW, when I am operating an aircraft, as far as I am concerned I am the most important person on that aircraft, as I don't want to risk my life by being pressured into a decision by a novice, who probably knows nothing about aviation safety.

Learnt that many years ago.

Last edited by weido_salt; 25th Jul 2008 at 22:56.