PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of speed brakes in flight
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2008, 21:26
411A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding L1011 DLC....I was told DLC had to be fitted because it was desireable the aircraft retained the Glideslope with a constant pitch attitude and provided a consistant pilot runway picture on a visual approach and a constant point of reference when looking for the runway in LVP.
If I remember correctly there was a required pilots seat back angle and position on landings and also a pilot eye locater devise to ensure a consistant view to both pilots...it also helped them to reach nearly all of the knobs and switches they might need.
DLC was also required to ensure the L1011 would land within the limits require for auto land certification at the correct autoland runway touchdown point.
Monitoring and ensuring the correct ADI pitch attitude on the glidescope was important to L1011 pilots.
On an autoland approach an Auto throttle drive failure was not announced as a failure to the pilots or flight engineer... and had to picked up by crew monitoring.
With an Auto throttle drive failure the glide slope was retained by the coupled auto pilot and the pitch attitude would slowly and silently increase and the IAS would slowly then not so slowly bleed off...in this situation was not noticed and immediatly corrected with positive manual power application and the correct pitch attitude and speed regained or a goard performed you would next an alpha flag and next a stall warning...a manual or autoland landing attempt with a pitch up attitude of I believe more than 11degrees was likely to result in an expensive tail strike.
I last flew the L1011 in Jan 1989 so all I say is probably all full of **** as my memory is nearly time ex.
Nothing wrong with your memory...all generally correct.
DLC enabled the L1011 to be CATIIIB certified, right out of the factory...not done later, as with other earlier designs.

However, it was always amusing to watch a new TriStar pilot attempt the 'Boeing push' for an extra smooth landing.
Ha!
The resulting thud would knock you back teeth loose...good thing Lockheed bolted the wings on really tight for these ex-Boeing guys.