PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas 744 Depressurisation
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2008, 20:57
visibility3miles
See and avoid

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Disclaimer: I haven't read all the posts, but if I was a PAX or pilot or skydiver, I would call a rapid descent from FL 300 to FL 100 a PLUNGE, or one quick drop.

Don't whine/whinge if you don't like the reporting. POLITELY TELL THEM WHY WHAT WAS DONE WAS DONE WITH THE SAFETY OF THE PASSENGERS IN MIND.

Instead of whining at journos from a forum few people in the general public read (e.g., fare-paying passengers), I strongly suggest that everyone bothered by this description of a normal, life saving procedure:

PLEASE POLITELY CONTACT your local news media and explain how this is ROUTINE PROCEDURE designed TO SAVE LIVES in the event of loss of normal cabin pressure. Explain that at 10,000 feet (yes, US units), there is adequate air pressure, similar to that found on most flights, but that at 30,000, people who had not properly used the oxygen masks which immediately deployed might be at risk, so descending rapidly is done with the best intentions, not as a plunge, EVEN IF THE PASSENGERS MAY BE SURPRISED BY THE RAPID DESCENT.

[Infants can't clear their ears as easily as adults because their ear canal is shaped differently. (I assume you've all noticed the wailing "baby barometers" that are usually the first signal of a descent to land? They can't help it -- it hurts. Babies can clear their ears more easily if they suck on a pacifier, milk bottle, or some such...)
Likewise small children may have trouble clearing their ears because they don't know how.
Way back when, Cabin Crew used to hand out chewing gum or lollipops to young children for this very purpose, but it's another sensible courtesy that's fallen by the wayside.]

As to the passengers "getting sick" upon seeing the hole in the undercarriage... I'd be upset myself. Have the crew say again how grateful they were too the passengers for remaining calm and confident during the flight. CRM should include keeping the pax and CC in the loop and calm.

Congrats to the pilots and crew for a job well done.