PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747-200F down in Bogota ?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2008, 19:05
L-38

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At risk of irritating those free to read this thread, whom simultaneously choose to anger over it's posted hypothesis, my "dime store" supposition continues . . .

With regards to pacplyers relevant article, Total Loss of Engine Power Mystifies Experts | Air Safety Week | Find Articles at BNET, a sentence on page 3 had stated "In this incident and during our flight test, suction feed did not maintain engine performance when the fuel pressure was interrupted during a climb". . . .

This statement of fact had clued me to consider that the act of rotating the airplane from a somewhat level attitude - to that of climb pitch (with it's accompanied forces of inertia and / or gravitational movement of fuel) could also perhaps initiate an engine flameout (if outboard engines already on suction feed).

One may never know, however it may be feasible that under these circumstances, a proper Vr rotation (with suction feed), combined with additional relevant factors such as high field elevation, less dense / warm Summer fuel, and much higher fuel demands than that required for "climb power", may thus starve an engine (especially soon after Vr, as crew rumor had it that "both outboard engines quit just after Vr").

I know, - just my worthless two cent's . . This may be one of the many possible scenarios (but not the only one) . . what would Ernest K.Gann have said?

Last edited by L-38; 26th Jul 2008 at 00:34.