PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will the bottom of the barrel ever be scraped for pilots in the future?
Old 25th Jul 2008, 16:01
Vortex Thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel Here here EGHH.

EGHH it is a shame indeed it just seems such a great shame that airlines refuse to invest enough money in their HR process to actually select people on pure ability and suitability for the job rather than just how much money they can raise.

GSXTY Sorry that was my intention! People reading this SHOULD think that the only way into an airliner (N.B. For a First proper Job) IS to buy a TR and line training. If it isn't perhaps you could enlighten us on who will interview you without those hours on type or with a TR as they appear to be hiding themselves well.

I am not even referring to just the UK. I for one was willing to go anywhere in the world for any salary as long as it flew I would have done it I applied to literally hundreds of SEP and MEP operators and could not so much of get a sniff at a PA31 or PA34 job. I tried email, letters, visits anything to get an interview for years whilst instructing full time and keeping as current as I could. The old favourites being "oh but you did modular", "oh but you have a good CV and are likely to get a job somewhere else soon" and even "Oh but you're OVERQUALIFIED!!!".

From the turbo prop operators such as Eastern, Highland, Flybe, etc I still await even an acknowledgment that they had received my applications over the last 5 years.(Admittedly Flybe do send a standard email) I am not asking for responses to blindly sent CVs I mean in response to application forms filled in for advertised jobs!!

I spoke to heads of sheds of Flybe, Eastern, Highland during many BALPA EOCs and even at thier HQs in person. They would say send me your CV or take my CV and say "You are definitely the type of guy I am looking for with the right experience, there is no reason why we would not interview you." I would send a follow up email, with another CV and then there would always be some reason why they had to take just 2 or 3 other guys with 250hrs from Oxford or Cabair but they would never actually get you in interview you or assess you against them.

Someone reading YOUR email would believe that if they had a natural ability and passed a good academic CV, rounded and diverse experience across all spectra of business and aviation that they could apply to an airline, get asked to come in for interview, prove their ability and suitability via a barrage of psychometric tests, interviews and sim checks and get the job because they were better than the other people who applied or met the required standard.

The fact is that it just doesn't happen that way until you are making the move from your first into your second airline with 500 plus hours on turbos or jets in my case. Now airlines write back to me, then I may as well have not existed...

I agree that this is bad, even disgusting but I did not make the industry this way, the senior management & senior pilots out there who choose to refuse to recruit in a meritocratic way at the 1st level are the ones who drive this, why well because if they didn't then the chances are their airlines would find someone else who did! Even when you are CEO you answer to the shareholders.

VT

Disgusting situation yes but please direct the disgust at the powers that be that point blank refuse to let this be a meritocracy