PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas 744 Depressurisation
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2008, 15:35
pappabagge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The flow of destruction..

- now having had the opportunity of perusing the okay-quality close-up I'm seeing what to me is an obvious "from the inside-out" blow, seemingly outwards from the upper portion where the torn-away piece of paneling has flipped upwards, but has been arrested from further upward movement by... what? The stronger resistance of the maindeck flooring/cargo deck ceiling? So following the path of least resistance, the force travels downwards, finds a weakness and exploits this, blowing both downwards and outwards. Notice the inverted "V" of the contact points of the fairing where the screws seen to still be intact, and the paneling has been pulled away what looks like directly outwards 90 degrees, loosing some of its force as it traverses rearwards (ergo more residual honeycombed paneling of the fairing evident in the forward-looking section). Note the complete extremities of the fairing from around halfway down and thereafter are missing, screws an' all.

Then as the outwardly-directed force moves ever further away from the origin of the Event, it slows further, travels downwards, now aided by the decompression effect itself where we see less ripping but more rupturing as a consequence of the transfer of energies over the surfaces and via changing resistance strata.

At least two stringers seem to have been breached and some four longitudinal spars. From an investigatory standpoint I'd give tonight's take-away pizza to see the load plan, load sheet and the cargo manifest for this flight. What would appear to be the "plug" here may be the (arguably adequately) netted and strapped-down flat bed pallet load, and what are the red sacks? Diplomatic Mail? Sure could be.. and way back in the days when this contributor got called out of bed in the middle of the night to examine load irregularities worthy of formal report, no checks whatsoever were made on the contents of DipMail - or Company Mail for that matter - pure conjecture admittedly, but then no stone such be left unturned.. However I'd have more expected to have found either DipMail or CoMail bulk-loaded in Cpt 5.

And I haven't seen that much bent metal since "Her Indoors" came home with my Toyota Previa in a similar condition a few weeks ago.

Funny no-one mentioned Baked Beans yet...

Last edited by pappabagge; 25th Jul 2008 at 15:41. Reason: spellin