PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Variable Vs Fixed Mortgage scheme
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2008, 14:50
Humber10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2 cents worth...

Are you taking into account any dips in the market?

The % diff between Variable and fixed?

Are the housing prices really going to go up alot further?

Tax to pay on the allowance?

If you take this into account, then you may be looking at about 10 years as the cross over point between fixed and VAR, taking inflation into account.

There are alot of other variables to consider.

I'm sure CX wouldnt roll over the current scheme if the housing index were to continue to skyrocket...

At the end of the day, it is what you are comfortable with. Are you happy locking in? Sure housing prices have been going up, but what happens if the market dives two days before your variable housing allowance comes up for renewal. There will be a market correction at some stage.

over the last two years, prices have risen a little, but not enough that one who has fixed can not afford to buy back into the market, especially when one is not paying for it. The game would be different, if we were actually paying the mortgage out of our own pockets...

My question is,; the AOA is sugesting we accept the rollover, is it too risky to ask for 25 years like Dragon is getting.... Then Variable might be the way to go, it will help those poor souls that want to fly ULR till age 65....

My view; youre going to use the housing to buy for 8-10 years, fixed. Any more, take the variable