PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will the bottom of the barrel ever be scraped for pilots in the future?
Old 25th Jul 2008, 02:31
Vortex Thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel Mercenary Pilot did you have a bad day?

MP you talk utter sh1t. I and plenty of other ex military pilots spent at least a couple of years trying to get real employment (I am NOT counting the full time FI jobs that I did whilst I waited). I have ex colleagues spread across the industry. Some with BA some who 5 years since leaving (with over 1500hrs) still have not gotten that first interview!

Were they bad pilots, no one ever bothered to find out. I like most at FR paid for my own TR and have never looked back. I've met pilots here who are so scary that I do not understand how they are allowed to be on their own in a cockpit and others who make me realize how much I still have to learn with more or less hours than me. Why? Simply because the only selection criteria is money or luck not ability? Do I agree with this no, but hey I didn't decide that it should no longer be a meritocracy. The accountants did.

I did not SSTR to circumvent test or selections. I did it because I have a mortgage to pay and a family to feed.

I have never failed any selection military or civil and have been offered every single job that I have been interviewed for.

The problem for me like many was simply that you do not get invited to interviews/selections as many firms out there would rather interview a 250hr Integrated student aged 25 and three quarters.

It is nothing to do with ability your comments show nothing more than your lack of knowledge about the struggle that some pilots face to get an interview. Getting jobs is easy, getting interviews was by far the hardest thing. I really do wish that this game was a meritocracy and pilots were selected purely on ability but that is about as likely as seeing oil go down to less than $100 a barrel by Xmas.

If you have written your comments as anything other than a wind up then you are either deluded or clearly have little knowledge on the realities of the recruitment cycle in aviation as it currently stands (from the point of view of a low hour pilot i.e. less than 2000hrs)

VT