PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway length required for safe operations
Old 24th Jul 2008, 20:40
His dudeness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I once worked for a large company who resorted to this on positioning flights using the argument that if you were landing without passengers it wasn't a commercial flight as such, even if you were there to collect punters. Funny how the rest of the world disagreed but hey ho"

That company wasn´t german, was it? Indeed the LBA did see it that way the last time I asked.
I switched from comm ops to cooperate and I´m stationed at a fairly short airport (TODA 3597ft, LDA 3323ft) now. The beginning was "different" as the aircraft was new to us as well. But one gets used to it quickly.

@smuff: 1,67 is for jetairplanes. Turboprop and piston aeroplanes (class B as per EU OPS) use 1,43 as rwy factor. Reverse thrust or reversed propellers are not used in this scenario at all (for calculating) and provide another "safety margin".

Most of them do use a factor for takeoff as well, 1,15% of the all engine takeoff distance. (Class A aeroplanes do require a distance for takeoff that is the longest of either accelerate - stop, accelerate - go or all engine takeoff distance) If an aeroplane is not able to produce enough climb with an failed engine after takeoff, then the takeoff weather minima are raised - the idea is, that a pilot then could find a spot to crashland.

As a private operator you would not need to observe any of these, you need just enough runway to achieve takeoff within and vice versa for landing from a 50ft height when crossing the runway threshold. (Att: this is valid for Germany - other countries may have different regs)

We voluntarily use a factor of 1,25 instead of 1,67 for landing and the longest of 3 method for takeoff. (but then our AFM does hold only the LO3 numbers for takeoff anyway)