PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway length required for safe operations
Old 24th Jul 2008, 20:32
G-SPOTs Lost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes interesting question. My FMS gives me Actual data from the manufacturer and then below that a figure that has the factor of my choice applied to it currently 1.67.

The manufacturers figure does not include the benefit of thrust reversers, although if you were going in somewhere short you would more than likely be very light and have a low Vref anyway In these cases Thrust reversers aren't as effective as from when stopping from higher speeds - but they still help and aren't included in the "raw" figure. Having said all this we are increasingly finding ourselves going into places heavier than usual because we have started tankering fuel.

Airbus succesfully lobbied to have takeoff figures on a wet runway include the benefit of TR's otherwise the A340 would struggle getting in anywhere!

Would I go in somewhere based only on the net figure.....yes..... but not without reverse and not using wet raw figures or with a serious cross wind or gusty conditions.

Having got into your very short runway, you then have the very serious consideration of getting out again with reasonable fuel to get anywhere.

Stopping is not normally a problem for modern bizjets.......accelerating and then stopping normally makes people wince a bit.....